[squeak-dev] Default window size is too small; we should at least increase it a bit and make a preference setting

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue May 17 01:09:19 UTC 2022

> This is about a lot of the tools simply being so annoying small (in a very
> likely 1920 at 1080 or larger screen) when they are opened that I have to
> immediately spend time resizing them. Which gets pretty annoying when it's
> the two hundredth time that day...

This is one of those you say "to-may-to", I say "to-mah-to" individual
preferences.  I can't stand every window that opens insisting on showing me
The Great Plains of Whitespace, blanketing half the screen and everything
underneath so I can no longer see it, and forcing me to pack a
Camelback for the long marathon treks of the mouse pointer back and forth
between the panes..  I'm forced to constantly downsize them, which is a lot
harder than upsizing them, because...

... the problem with opening large by default is it prevents use of Squeak
on devices with smaller displays.  You can always size a window smaller
than the display larger, but it's not an easy thing to size a window that's
larger than the display smaller, because the user can't reach the resize
handles.

I think RealEstateAgent or #defaultExtent should probably now consider
itself with some 0.0 to 1.0 fraction of the display size.

 - Chris