[squeak-dev] Default preferences

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri May 20 13:16:26 UTC 2022

Hi Jaromir, hi all,

thanks for finding this! This is insane. I suppose that no one in the last years has ever pressed this "default" button and thus this inconsistency was never found.

We seem to have two sources of truth here:

1. The default value of each preference:

  1a. For pragma preferences, this is encoded in the getter of the preference (i.e., Model class>>#useColorfulWindows falls back to true).

  1b. For old-style preferences, this is the defaultValue variable of the preference instance (this is not encoded anywhere, just historic instances that have been handed down since years or decades via the release images like the Olympic torch). See Preferences preferenceAt: #fastDragWindowForMorphic for example.

2. The default values encoded in the ReleaseBuilder (or actually, the ReleaseBuilders, since this thing is even subclassed), see #setPreferences. For instance, here #useColorfulWindows is set to false.

This is really crazy. I feel like traveling ten years back in time after clicking that button. I don't know how we should solve the two sources of truth problem, but my proposal would be that we set all Preferences' defaultValues to their value during the release building - how do you think about that? Would some others agree with that? If yes, I can implement & upload that.

> A theme is not a 'preference', despite the Preference Wizard sets it, right? (slightly confusing but ok)

Yes. The Preference Wizard does not display all preferences, but it also provides access to some other options. For instance, the preference browser also does not have logic for installing recommended packages. :-)

Best,

Christoph