[squeak-dev] Duffing broken for Inbox [was: The Inbox: Compiler-ct.480.mcz]

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Sep 15 03:15:20 UTC 2022

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 06:50:33PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
>     but what???s in Inbox isn???t relevant.  Since Inbox receives occasional submissions we can???t diff against just Inbox versions.  We have to diff against the union of Inbox and trunk.  Only then can we be confident of finding the most recent ancestor.

What's in the inbox is definitely relevant. It is a broken file. The contents
are an MCD archive and the file name is MCZ.

Meanwhile, Chris points out that the bad MCZ should not be in the inbox
at all because the correct copy of it also exists in trunk. So he suggests
deleting ./ss/inbox/Compiler-eem.479.mcz and ss/inbox/Compiler-ct.480(eem.479).mcd,
and proceeding from there.

Given that none of us knows the root cause of the problem and nobody
is likely to figure it out any time soon, I would say that Chris is
giving us good advice.

The problem with good advice (as we all know very well) is that somebody
needs to actually follow it. I'm not sure how to do that in this case.

As a first step, I went to https://source.squeak.org and used the web
interface to delete Compiler-eem.479 from the inbox. Let's see if that
helps.

Dave