[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] Extended Clipboard

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Mon Apr 3 21:24:46 UTC 2023

On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 16:32 David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 08:13:58PM -0700, Vanessa Freudenberg wrote:
> >
> > Awesome!
> >
> > Just to confirm that indeed, at some point this worked in the version of
> > Squeak/Etoys that shipped on the OLPC machines.
> >
> > You could for example copy a morph and insert it into an OpenOffice
> > document (it was converted to a bitmap).
> >
> > If I remember correctly you could even copy morphs including their
> > running scripts from one image to another, by way of serializing the
> morph
> > and using a Squeak-specific MIME type.
>
> Thanks Vanessa,
>
> I am not keeping up very well with the current clipboard development,
> but I am try to help by putting together the historical pieces.
>
> The OLPC image should be a good reference. It's on Linux and it
> delivers Etoys and all of the clipboard functionality that worked
> at that time.
>
> Can you say if the Etoys development image Etoys-Dev-4.1.2381.zip
> is the same as what was delivered on OLPC? If so it should serve
> as a useful reference.
>
> If anyone would like to try looking at Etoys-Dev-4.1.2381.zip, here
> are a few notes:
>
> - The image will run in SqueakJS on https://try.squeak.org/. It's
> a bit slow but it works and allows anyone to browse the system and
> look at the source.
>
> - The image also runs on an up to date interpreter VM, which is
> useful if you want to run Etoys on a native Linux VM and try the
> clipboard functions on Linux.
>
> - I found that I now need to compile the VM with the gcc
> -fno-stack-protector
> option, otherwise the VM exits with a stack smashing warning. I am
> assuming this is due to recent gcc security updates (exit on stack
> smashing detected) that are triggered by the existing VM/image when
> running the Etoys image. Home hobby Squeakers compiling the VM will
> need to follow the instructions at https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354
> but also add the -fno-stack-protector compiler option in order to run
> the Etoys development image on Linux.
>
> BTW I do not recall the link for downloading Etoys-Dev-4.1.2381.zip
> but hopefully it is still available on the net. If not maybe we can
> put a copy on the files.squeak.org server.
>
> Dave

Oh gosh I have a hard time remembering where the various bits and pieces
are, it feels like a lifetime ago … the stuff that actually shipped should
be in Fedora of that era, a package called “etoys” (I think?) depending on
“squeakvm”.

The VM should be the same as the latest interpreter vm from Ian. The image
should be pretty much the same as the one on Squeakland right now, that
probably is more up-to-date than Etoys-Dev. You can get into the regular
Squeak tools by disabling the “etoyFriendly” preference, via the world’s
menu halo handle.

Vanessa