[squeak-dev] Where does the compiler handle the "local bindings" of workspaces?

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 04:43:25 UTC 2023

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 2:09 AM Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> first some context:
>
>   I was trying to put some blocks of executable notes in something
>   like the "Terse Guide to Squeak"... the Terse Guide is implemented
>   as a class called TerseGuideHelp, and I was working on a modified
>   copy of that class, that I called EdrxGuideHelp... but then I saw
>   that the window that shows the content of a topic in a help browser
>   treats local variables in a way that is different than the one in
>   workspaces - if I run "a := 42" in the window with the contents of a
>   topic I get a dialog window whose title is:
>
>     Unknown variable: a!
>     please correct, or cancel:

In HelpBrowser you must declare the variables before using them.
You use vertical lines like this:
| a |
a := 42.
You must select both lines before selecting doIt.

> Now a more basic question. I sort of know where the "local variables"
> of a workspace are stored... if I start with a single workspace and I
> run this on it,
>
>   w := Workspace new.
>   w buildAndOpen.
>
> and then I run this on the second workspace,
>
>   a := 2.
>   b := a + 3.
>
> and then go back to the first workspace and "print it" this,
>
>   w bindings.
>
> I get:
>
>  a Dictionary('a'->2 'b'->5 )

HelpBrowser does not implement dynamic binding of variables.
You can right click on a Workspace window and a HelpBrowser window and
inspect the model and see the differences.
Also browse class Workspace and look at access to variable 'bindings'.

[image: image.png]

Best,
Karl