[squeak-dev] Stripper and/or Whittler for Squeak

Stephen Travis Pope stephen at heaveneverywhere.com
Sun Jan 1 21:12:11 UTC 2023

Hi Squeakers!

In the olden days of ParcPlace, we had 2 tools for “pruning” images: a Stripper could be configures to remove unused classes from an image (e.g., Dev tools, PostScript output) while aWhittler identified unused methods in classes that were being kept (like the package-specific method categories in the system classes as well).

In working in both Squeak and Cuis, I’m a bit shocked by the bloat in Squeak (2833 classes vs 678 in Cuis) and wondered if anyone had a script to remove all the Etoys stuff, Nebraska and the various test categories.

It’d be great if there was a procedure to start with a smaller Squeak image (1000 classes or so) and file in the packages that go beyond the basic development environment.  This would also make the system much more approachable to new-comers.

stp

--------

Stephen Travis Pope    Ojai, California, USA

     http://HeavenEverywhere.com
     http://FASTLabInc.com
     https://vimeo.com/user19434036/videos
     http://heaveneverywhere.com/Reflections