[squeak-dev] x86 linux/ubuntu and security limit squeak.conf

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 4 00:40:44 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 03:35:37PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> This has been annoying me for some time but since I'm waiting for yet another TestRunner run I have a moment to whine about it.
>
> On my Pi I have no problems with the /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf file. Well, none that I know of. If I run a system from commandline there is no complaint about it.
>
> On my x86 ubuntu machine I created the file. It has the same permissions as on the pi, and the same content, and the owner in both cases is root. If I run a system from a commandline the first thing I see is a complaint about needing the damn file!
>
> What can I do to solve this? Is it simply the VM code being mistaken? Is there some other ubuntu related security dance we have to do?

Log out completely from your shell session, and then log back in. IIRC
the security stuff gets applied when you first start your login session,
and the permissions more or less get inherited by everything thereafter
(i.e. processes forked from your initial login shell process).

If that doesn't work, unplug the computer and wait for the disk drive
to come to a complete halt, wait another 30 seconds, then plug it back
in and see if it starts working. Just kidding, kinda.

Dave