[squeak-dev] linux armv8 VM builds from GitHub have weird date-naming

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jan 7 00:17:21 UTC 2023

The latest downloadable ARMv8 build - https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/download/latest-build/squeak.cog.spur_linux64ARMv8.tar.gz - has a weird looking directory structure.

Normally I'd expect an sqcogspur64ARMv8linuxht directory I can drag out of the archive app and into my main Squeak directory, whereupon the contents get overlaid onto what was already there. Amongst other things I'd expect to find a new lib/squeak/5.0-20230103xxxxxxxx-64bit directory or similar. Instead it has lib/squeak/5.0-197001010000-64bit and I'm fairly sure we didn't have spur &  cog in 1970. Who done broke the clock?

tim
Long computations that yield zero are probably all for naught.