[squeak-dev] proposed System Reorg

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 06:00:33 UTC 2023

Hi Stephen,

Does this result in a lot of dirty packages in the Monticello browser?

I think one challenge is that "more approachable" depends on the
dimension in which one is approaching Squeak.  From the dimension of the
newcomer wanting to learn the concepts of Smalltalk and programming for the
first time, this looks like a good start to an educational package that
could transform the system into something smaller and more comprehensible.
Of course, Cuis might already be an equally good candidate for that.

OTOH, from the dimension of a programmer looking to integrate practically
with Squeak and making new packages and enhancements, the noise of the
separation of packages serves a purpose.  It's how we as a community have
organized to move it forward.

I know one thing we want to do is remove Etoys.  That alone could result in
quite a bit of simplification.

Regards,
  Chris