[squeak-dev] Text editor menu simplified

Taeumel, Marcel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jan 25 08:29:12 UTC 2023

Hi Stephen, hi all --

Yes, it makes sense to think about a person's first contact with Squeak and also novice users in general.

However, it is not that easy to just distinguish between "two modes" or "two kinds of users:" novices and experts. No, not all experts remember all the keyboard shortcuts all the time. They also use menus from time to time. Just think of a demo where people are watching your actions and where you want to actually show what you are doing.

Then there is the discussion about mouse-driven and keyboard-driven interaction, complementary to any experience-based dimension. Yes, menus can be filtered using the keyboard. No, we do not want to force users to switch from a mouse-oriented action to the keyboard (or vice versa). Consequently, we must also think about how challenging we make an interaction with mouse-only when changing menu structure (and others).

That said, putting really important items from top-level into sub-menus, is a bad idea. It makes mouse-driven navigation really cumbersome. Even now, that extra "menu mode" via shift-click (aka. "more...") can be hard to discover.

Thanks for this proposal. It serves as a good artifact for a discussion about usability. It is way better than just having an idea and never trying to implement it. This is really helpful!

Yet, -1, as I think that we can find a better solution for making the system more user-friendly and explorable.

Best,
Marcel