[Squeak-doc] General thoughts...

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 07:37:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:03:40AM -0700, Paul Bennett wrote:
> 1) Is the current wiki system suitable  to handle the end result, and
> if not, is there something available in Squeak for it?
> There was a little discussion today in IRC about it. And there is a
> desire to see magicbook created. But we only have a wiki right now
> and my thoughts currently are around my understanding that a Wiki is
> a fairly statically structured system. I sense that what we are
> looking to produce is going to be significantly dynamic. A static
> system is going to require a huge amount of effort in maintenance -
> something we don't seem to access to(yet?!).
> Also, to get the ideas flowing, what do you think about using concept
> maps to lay out access to information?
> Check this link out....  http://www.eiffel.com/developers/learning_maps/
> and how about this... http://cmap.ihmc.us/
> Perhaps these are tools that could be developed in Squeak?

Pier is way more than a wiki. Check it out:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3700

I will look into those.

> 2) Documenting everything in Squeak is a big task. BIG! At least it
> looks that way to me. Do we want to include documentation for non-
> core projects like Seaside and Pier? I ask this because documenting
> and Tutorialising those two projects is what brought me to the
> Documentation group to begin with. I can envision a core
> documentation team assisting with project members documenting their
> product, but I sense most of them have their own pages they would
> maintain and the core Documentation team might prompt them annually
> to add / change material where necessary.

I immagine that once there is enough maintainable documentation,
peer pressure will arise, causing developers to expect
documentation just as they now expect SUnit tests.

> I believe in the KISS principle, but the above thoughts might provide
> for a discussion of a roadmap.

I just created a roadmap proposal. It is a separate email,
cross-posted to squeak-dev and squeak-doc