[Squeak-doc] FW: [Seaside] Why seaside really sucks! COMMMMMMMENTS are MISSING

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Fri Apr 6 13:19:35 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I wonder if Seaside would not be a good place to try something out.  It
would seem that if there was a good way to manage the comment workflow it
would be very useful to try it out here.

Thoughts?

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: stephane ducasse

This is not easy for me to say that because I appreciate the work of
Avi, Lukas and Philippe.
But I'm sorry to say that but seaside sucks! Not because of the code
or the concepts.
But because there is really not enough comments. Really! It is really
difficult to understand a simple
method is doing and if it makes sense to specialize it.

This is TERRIBLE since I think that I'm a good programmer but seaside
code prevents me to
be fully efficient. I have to guess try and error and guess again. I
have to ask stupid questions to the mailing-list
while I would prefer to use it for  interesting questions. I think
that seaside goes even against the philosophy of
Smalltalk (a system that someone alone can understand) because this
total lacks of
comments is TRAPPING me. I cannot use my skills full speed. Thanks
what a great feeling.
pleaseeeeeee do not tell me to read the code or to use senders! This
is really the worse answer I can get.
I always hated this kind of answer on smalltalk forums.

(Please do not ask me what I'm doing to improve the situation because
people knows what I did
for seaside and Smalltalk already.)

I think that as a community we should do something especially since
we have monticello
and comments could be easily merged.

I pushed a lot seaside and I'm trying to push it again further but
come on we should WAKE UP!
I would really like that people with knowledge helps improving the
situation.

So if you think that seaside is cool and it is worth more, spend 30
min of your precious time and
add comments, help lukas and the other to make Seaside really a
habitable piece of code.

Comments are for people that do not know or remember. So if you
really want to make the community
grow you know what you should do. But may be it is better that
seaside stays a cool program for a nice and
private club after all.

Stef

PS: I should say that filelibrary is a good start at documenting a
functionality. May be adding method comments
would help there too.