[Squeak-doc] Swiki Organization project Roadmap

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 17:44:06 UTC 2007

Hello to everyone who is interested in the documentation
project. After a discussion on IRC, I have decided that I am
being too quiet about the documentation project, and I would
like to remedy that. Thus, this is the roadmap of what I have
been working on and how you could help.

The Swiki, the primary source of documentation on Squeak, is
severely disorganized. This is a political problem, I believe.
There are also some technical problems, but they are not as
severe:

- We could migrate the Swiki to a more modern system like Pier
- We could move all the content to Sophie and have it accessible
  in the image as well as the web.
- We could implement MagicBook[1] and be able to find
  out-of-date documentation

However, these technical issues are meaningless while political
problems abound. So, here is a broad overview of what needs to
be done to solve the political problem that Squeak documentation
has no real maintainers:

1. Find all the existing documentation
2. Review it to assess it's quality
3. index it so we know what exists
4. for any projects without documentation, add them to the
   index, and contact the maintainer to try to get some
   documentation

These three steps will require a lot of work, but once finished,
we will have a complete, but messy "first draft" of what the
documentation for squeak should look like. This would be the
time to discuss long-term technical ideas, like maintinance.

How can we index all existing documentation? we need a model of
what such an index should look like, something which is a small
but scalable subset of that index. I have been building a
tutorial index, and I think it serves as a useful model to the
larger documentation index we must eventually create:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/792

Thus, how can we get this project started?

First, I believe we should finish the tutorial index I have
started. It is a smallish project, and it will help us bootstrap
a political model for assembling larger projects. We need a
political model if we are to ever tackle the huge projects that
face the doc team.

Please reply with your thoughts, especially if you want to
volunteer.

[1]: MagicBook: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3004