[Squeak-e] squeak-e and ANSI Smalltalk

Robert Withers rwithers12 at attbi.com
Sat Feb 1 17:02:32 CET 2003

Hi Allen,

This is very interesting news.  I don't know how important eventual
sending is in providing a system supporting capabilities.  There is a
really rough implementation I did, on the swiki (
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2410 ), but it is broken in several
places (self sending through an inspector on an eventual reference).
In looking at the ANSI spec, there was a discussion of the
computational model and it is a immediate call/return model of
execution, which I have pasted below.  Additionally, the protocol
specifications define a return value, which may not support a promise
model of execution.

What are your thoughts about changing the computational model of squeak
in this way?

I suppose the broader question is do we need to do this to support
capabilities?

cheers,
rob

"from the ANSI speciffication"

A message send causes execution of the currently active method to be
temporarily suspended and for program execution to continue starting
with the first expression of another method. A message send directs a
message to an object. The object is called the receiver of the message.
A message consists of a method selector and a set of arguments. Each
argument is a reference to an object. When an object receives a
message, the method selector of the message is used to select the
method from the object's behavior that corresponds to the selector. The
method becomes the new locus of execution. Special processing takes
place if the receiver's behavior does not include a method
corresponding to the message's method selector.

A return terminates execution of a method and causes execution to
resume within the method that executed the message send that activated
the method containing the return. Execution continues immediately
following the message send expression. The return provides a value (an
object reference) that becomes the value of the message send.