[Squeak-e] Programming the VM

Mark S. Miller markm at caplet.com
Sun Feb 2 23:11:09 CET 2003

At 10:54 PM 2/2/2003 Sunday, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>Using Alan's imagery, and with thanks to Norm Hardy and E-Dean Tribble,
>here's an explanation of a framework I call "refraction".

Oops, I forgot to mention the biggest credit-where-due on this: Udi Shapiro
and the use of nested virtual meta-reflective interpreters in a network in
Flat Concurrent Prolog. He did indeed reify eval and absorb apply (#4) and
he did indeed use source-to-source transformation to simulate
meta-interpretation cheaply (#10).

As I read over my description, I think it's all there in Udi's work (except
for #9, which is obvious anyway). My message is only new imagery for
explaining an old idea. I'm embarrassed. Well, at least the idea I almost
stole is a good one. ;)