[Squeak-e] Programming the VM

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Feb 3 01:03:03 CET 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> What can I read about Seaside? Could you summarize the salient points?
>
> Open access to one's own frame is fine. Open access to one's caller's frame
> would kill security, except for access according to the above ownership
> hierarchy. A debugger must be prepared to encounter frames it cannot open.

Seaside requires access to the entire context stack, but opaquely - it
just needs to copy it, not to look at or change it.  To put it another
way, it needs access not to its caller's frame but to its own
continuation, which seems reasonable to me from a security point of view
(there was a brief mention earlier of a secured Scheme - did this still
have call/cc?).

Avi