[Squeak-e] Programming the VM

Mark S. Miller markm at caplet.com
Mon Feb 3 09:30:56 CET 2003

At 03:22 AM 2/3/2003 Monday, cg at cdegroot.com wrote:
>Anyway, that'd probably mean, or could mean, that you'd have an extra
>slot in these objects pointing to their 'machine', not? When they are
>instantiated, they get the parent's 'machine' reference unless the
>parent overrides it (either by setting it after the fact, or more likely
>by a something like 'Foo newInNewEnvironment').

"after the fact" would be bad. You'd be in a very weird state until it was set.

Otherwise, yes, exactly. Or, at least, it has to point at an object which is
in one-to-one correspondence with the parent 'machine', and which enables
this parent to open it up (ie, obtain an instance of Lex's ObjectInspector
on it) iff the object is indeed a child of this parent. I need to explain
the KeyKOS/EROS branding mechanism.