[Squeak-e] first successful CapTP messaging trace

Mark S. Miller markm at caplet.com
Sun Jun 8 22:43:57 CEST 2003

At 03:21 AM 6/8/2003  Sunday, Rob Withers wrote:
>Here is the trace: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3243
>
>It is pipelining messages, but I don't have a proper event-loop, so it
>doesn't flush the connection buffers at the end of each vat turn - instead I
>flush every 10 ms.  Also, the lack of an event loop results in no partial
>ordering guarantees.  Proof of this is in the trace showing that the
>initiating side processes the second resolution before the first resolution
>(in the third chunk of messages).

Rob, I don't have anything useful to contribute at this time, but I just
wanted to say congratulations! This is fantastic!

Btw, this seems like a good opportunity to mention Dean Tribble's
E-on-Squeak project
http://www.eros-os.org/pipermail/e-lang/2003-May/008689.html , porting
Kernel-E, and eventually E itself, onto the Squeak virtual machine.