English summary was: Re: [Squeak-ev] Organisatorischer Rahmen: Enger oder weiter?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Mit Mar 20 16:25:29 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 03:04:42PM +0100, Rudi Angela wrote:
> I applaud any european initiative in this field. There are a couple of
> issues that affect us Europeans more directly, like languages and
> localization. In the English-dominated world people tend to forget the
> importance of e.g. special characters, as they don't deal with this
> issue everyday (so I can't blame them). I have found people in the Dutch
> educational market that are willing to give Squeak a chance in schools.
> But in this market language localization is a prerequisite.
> But the same issue of language is probably going to form a barrier for
> me participating in a German or French Squeak community, as my German is
> very basic and my French non-existent. I guess this applies to more
> Europeans. Language keeps deviding Europe! I doubt if currently there
> are enough European Squeakers to justify a per country approach to a
> community initiative (thought I do hope I'm wrong!). So i would strongly
> advocate for one multinational community, otherwise we won't reach the
> critical mass. As a consequence, the language used should be English. Of
> course I would personally prefer good old Dutch, but I'm willing to
> sacrifice that to gain a stronger European Squeak movement.

Ok... Hmm... so we're back at "one european thingy".
Does anybody know if there is something like a "Verein" on an EU-wide basis?

The whole idea of a german organisation started because we were thinking
about making it easy for corporations and individuals to donate money.
Easy means: Like with everything else.

If you want to raise money here in Germany, you need to be a "e.V."
Think about it as an interface we need to implement.

Of course having diferent legal entities does not mean that we're not
working together: We are *one* community. There would be no point in
not working together...

The question is how to integrate the people from countries without
a local organisation? Do we need an EU-based organsiation for that?
Or could they join one of the other local organisations?

Don't know... any other ideas?

            Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeakland.org