[Squeak-ev] Re: [m17n] Re: SAR package for 3.6 beta

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Mon Aug 11 22:56:24 UTC 2003

  Michael,

> > I finally had some time to take a closer look at the m17n
> > implementation. Do we really need classes for some of the language
> > stuff? My impression is that most of the conversion etc could be table
> > driven?
>
>   Hmm.  Let's keep those.  Various language specific methods can be there.
>
>   We can use them as a Factory of translation dictionaries.
> #primaryLanguage: and #setNaturalLanguageTo: may do some double
> dispatch kind of thing based with the language argument, etc.
>
>   If you say that they should be used more than now, yes.

  Now, I wonder if you meant the "EncodedCharSet" subclasses, rather
than the "LanguageEnvironment" ones.  The former is even less used,
and I have to say that I don't fully know we'll need a class for each
Unicode block. (Probably not.)  But still some of them, for example
UnicodeJapanese, has some methods and will have more, so it would make
sense to keep them, I think.

-- Yoshiki