[ENH] SoundSystemCleanup-gk ( [et] Tested in 3.7 5707 Image. Beeps ok. Class comment suggestion. )

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 24 14:25:26 CET 2004

Hi!

Thanks for testing.

hoanga at mac.com wrote:

> Filed into a Squeak 3.7 #5707 image on OS X.
> VM Version 3.7.1b2.
>
> Looked over class comments.  It is clear to me that Beeper beep
> should be used to make beeps.   One thing slightly confusing
> in the example code:
>  Beeper setDefault: (self new setSamples: self coffeeCupClink
>         samplingRate: 12000)).
>
> This seems a little confusing to me. From carefully reading the comment
> above I get the gist this is supposed to an AbstractSound but if I was
> glancing at this comment I'd assume self was a Beeper.   Also why
> are there two parentheses after sampling rate?

Sorry, I cut out the original context and wasn't careful at all. Sorry.
It was earlier a copy from AbstractSound class>>initialize I think.

> Perhaps:
>    |snd|
>    snd := SampledSound new.
>    Beeper setDefault: (snd setSamples: SampledSound coffeeCupClink
>            samplingRate: 20000).
>
> This code snippet can easily be highlighted and evaluated so the user
> can get a feeling for how it works.

Yes, much better, thanks. Will fix.

> Testing
> -------
> Tried using Beeper beep.  Sound still works.  Also successfuly got beeps
> from the following:
> SampleSound beep
> TrashCanMorph playDeleteSound
> TrashCanMorph playMouseEnterSound
> TrashCanMorph playMouseLeaveSound
> EToyCommunicatorMorph playArrivalSound.
> Object beep (with and without deprecated warnings on)

Might be nice to also test these two in combinations:
- Turning sound on/off in Preferences (soundsEnabled)
- Selecting the other facade (DummySoundSystem). Can be done by
"SoundService askForDefault".

Sidenote: The ugly quotes in the choosing-dialog comes from the fact
that BaseSoundSystem and DummySoundSystem actually registers *an
instance* in SoundService, instead of the class. Perhaps we should
improve AppRegistry to simply have "registeredObjects" instead of
"registeredClasses".

regards, Göran