[BUG] reading past end of non-disk files hangs Squeak ( [closed] unable to reproduce in 3.8-6665 )

ken at kencausey.com ken at kencausey.com
Tue Jun 28 19:55:05 CEST 2005

I'm not at all sure this is fixed but I was unable to reproduce the same
behavior in 3.8-6665.

> Anyone see anything wrong with this?
>
> s _ FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: '/proc/tty/driver/serial'.
> s atEnd
> 	=> true
> s reset
> s atEnd
> 	=> true
> s next
> 	=> $s
> s upTo: Character lf
> 	=>  'erinfo:1.0 driver:5.05c revision:2001-07-08'
> s atEnd
> 	=>  false
> s reset
> s atEnd
> 	=>  true
> s upTo: Character lf
> 	(repeat the #upTo: until Squeak hangs. Interrupt it.)

I saw the same up to this point.  I tried it several dozen times but
upTo: returned the empty string for me repeatedly and Squeak never hung.

> s atEnd
> 	=>  false
> s position
> 	=>  364
> s next
> 	=>  nil
> s atEnd
> 	=>  false

Again, I don't know for sure that this issue is fixed but it at least
seems that the behavior has changed.  For that reason I'm going to go
ahead and close this issue but if you believe there is still an issue I
welcome you opening a new report on the Mantis database.

Thank you,

Ken