[SqueakDBX] Problem with Czech characters

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 00:52:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Michal Perutka <michal.perutka at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I started to test SqueakDBX yesterday (Squeak 3.10.2, OpenDBX 1.4.1,
>> Windows XP, Oracle DB) and finally I was able to get my first result set:
>>

> Hi! Welcome to SqueakDBX. We hope we can help you :)
> You say "and finally I was able to get my first result". Did you have any
> problem? We would love to know it so that to fix it or at least to document
> it. We want to make our wiki the most useful possible.
>

>> connectionSettings := DBXConnectionSettings
>>         host: 'oracledb2.srs.cz'
>>         port: '1521'
>>         database: 'ISMON'
>>         userName: 'xxx'
>>         userPassword: 'xxx'.
>>
>> conn := DBXConnection
>>         platform: DBXOraclePlatform new
>>         settings: connectionSettings.
>>
>> conn connect.
>> conn open.
>> result := conn execute: 'select name from users order by name'.
>> DBXTranscript show: result.
>> conn close.
>> conn disconnect.
>>
>> But I have two problems:
>> - all czech characters are converted to ASCII (diacritical marks are
>> removed)
>

> mmmmm  I have a couple of cuestions about this:
>
> 1) The database is also in a Windows? or other OS ?
>
> 2) Can you send me an example of those czech characters ? perhaps a record
> of the user table?
>
> 3) I remember that in Oracle you can specify the encoding of the database.
> which is the encoding of the one you are trying to use?
>
> 4) Can you perfectly send queries and inserts using czech characters  using
> a SQL client like sqlplus or SLQDeveloper ?
>

>> - order of names is bad
>>

> This is weird. Cannot do it right now, but in case we don't have a unit
> test for this, I will do it and see if I can reproduce it here. If there is
> a bug, it will be fixed :)

Ok. Done. Tried to reproduce it here with oracle but it is working well for
me. I created a test to verify it: DBXQueryTest>>testOrderBy

It is commited in OpenDBX-Core-MMP.222

You can run ALL tests and ALL should be green. Read
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6077

Let me know the results of that test and if you want tell me if the results
of the rest.