[SqueakDBX] MS SQL Server Backend in Windows (working but some problems)

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 11:38:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Stefan Kapusniak
<mlist at yclept.clara.co.uk>wrote:

> I worked out what was going on with the MSSQL backend segfaulting on my
> Vista machine when running the tests.  It wasn't as fatal as I thought
> initially, but it's a pretty serious problem if you want to use it in
> production
> code.
>
> It turns out if you put in an incorrect (non-existing) host, instead of
> getting an
> error either when you connect or when you open the connection, everything
> seems to work, but it it then all blows up dramatically as soon as you try
> execute some SQL.
>
> The same happens if you supply a username that doesn't exist, or even get
> your password wrong (ouch!).
>
> I guess I'll be poking around the code a bit to try and see what I can come
> up
> with for that one :)

Ok. I will take a look as soon as possible. I am a bit complicated this week
(I moved to France).

> I also ran the core tests, and got 2 failures on multi-statements, I assume
> that's
> the known thing that's in the OpenDBX bug tracker?

Yes, exactly :)

> This is all on Windows Vista, Pharo RC1 (10498), OpenDBX 1.4.4,
> FreeTDS 0.82, SQL Server Express 2008, both OpenDBX and FreeTDS built
> from source with ye olde mingw recommended on the OpenDBX site.

WOW!!! That's excellent news. Did you have to change something in SqueakDBX
code to make it work? Feel free to commit or discuss.

Cheers,

Mariano