[SqueakDBX] MS SQL Server Backend in Windows - Possible Patch

Stefan Kapusniak mlist at yclept.clara.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 10:43:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:11:36 GMT, Stefan Kapusniak wrote:

> I worked out what was going on with the MSSQL backend segfaulting
> on my  Vista machine

> It turns out if you put in an incorrect (non-existing) host,
> instead of getting an error either when you connect or when you
> open the connection, everything seems to work, but it it then all blows
> up dramatically as soon as you try execute some SQL.
>
> The same happens if you supply a username that doesn't exist, or
> even get your password wrong (ouch!).

Okay I've done some more poking around, and the attached patch to
the OpenDBX MSSQL backend (1.4.4 tarball) fixes this for me.  It's just
a one liner that adds setting tc->errtype to -1 in mssql_odbx_bind to
what it does when it can't connect.

Now whether this is a sane or sensible fix for this, and the
real problem is SqueakDBX, or something higher up in OpenDBX
not being able to handle thing without this set and it's that that
needs fixing instead, I really couldn't tell you :)

-- Stefan