[SqueakDBX] Re: Re[2]: Running the tests on Squeak 3.8.2 and MySQL 4

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 18:57:08 UTC 2009

2009/10/8 Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net>

> Hi,
>
> full stack 3.10.2 at the end of this post.

ok.

> MMP> And, an 3.8 image (vm, changes, sources, image) with
> MMP> squeakdbx so that I can just test it?  Or at least upload it
> MMP> somewhere I can get it.
>
> I think it's a problem with the tests and MySql 4 and not of Squeak
> 3.8. I tried with 3.10.2 and got the same problem (with few
> differences). And the same success in retrieving my 11000 rows from an
> existing database.

ok.

> To make it simpler we should use a common base as far as possible. And
> you will be as unhappy in 3.8 as I'm in 3.10.2. Plus my 3.8 image
> contains a lot of customer data and code (it's about 100MB so it's
> easier to first do 3.10.2). If you have a windows machine available I
> can give you VNC like access to my machine with an image you choose.
>
> Am I right in that you have no Mysql4?

What I would love is if you have a mysql4 database public so that I can
connect from my machine at any time. If you can send me ip, port, username,
pass and database in a private email, I can test it. I do SqueakDBX at night
(not at work) and Argentinian night is VERY late for you haaha.

> This is what I did:
> -I started Squeak 3.10.2,
> -installed FFI from universes (the latest FFI does not load in 3.10.2)
> -installed OpenDBX-Core-MarianoMartinezPeck.235.mcz,
> -hard coded my database connection into DBXMySQL4Facility>>createConnection
> -in a workspace did DBXBaseTest facility: DBXMySQL4Facility facilityForTest
> ran the tests.

Ok. I will do that using your MySQL4 database.

> and (without the messages in the Transcript) ended up in the missing
> postgres dll. Only much later.
>
> So I suggest we sort this out in 3.10.2. I can also try Pharo if
> that's what you use.

I use Pharo to develop SqueakDBX but it test it also in Squeak before
releasing. Anyway, I will try it again.

> Maybe you should tell me which FFI version to use. Universes loads
> FFI-Kernel-ar.8, FFI-tests-ar.2 and FFI-examples-ar.1.
>
> But in 3.10.2 the connection has the wrong data (unlike in 3.8.2). In
> the png you see the browser with the changed method, the fact that we
> got two connections and the connections with the wrong settings.

yeah, true.

> MMP> But there is somethign I don't understand. In your
> MMP> screenshots, you use a user something like "software<-user" ...
> MMP> what is that narrow ???
> MMP> Then, in the transcript I see "software_user@%"
> MMP> why is this difference?
>
> it has to do with shout package. A workspace displays it with an
> underscore while a shout workspace displays it with the old Squeak
> assignment operator. So do Browsers.
>
> But I get all these problems with a user and password only using
> letters.

ok :(