[SqueakDBX] Re: Running the tests on Squeak 3.8.2 and MySQL 4 more guidance needed.

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Oct 10 10:23:02 UTC 2009

Mariano,

I think I need some help in this matter.
HK> As to keep it manageable I'll factor the String
HK> 'INSERT INTO signature(code, name, observations, id_student)
HK>  VALUES (11, ''Something'', ''Nothing'', 2)'
HK> into a method in DBXBackendFacility and overwrite it in
HK> DBXMySQL4Facility.

MMP> I would like not to tauch DBXBackendFacility or other
MMP> things of the core. Is it possible it to be only in
MMP> MMP> DBXMySQL4Facility ?

I have to touch all these messages in the png.

The options I see:
- Changing all these strings to use double quotes around "Something"
  and "Nothing" and hope that in SQL '' and "" are interchangeable for
  all platforms.
- Changing these Strings only after a check for the Class of the
  faciility
- Instead of using String literals return the Strings by a method.
  This method could reside in DBXBaseTest and do something like:
  facility class = DBXMySQL4Facility ifTrue: [....] ifFalse: [...]
  Or this method resides in DBXBackendFacility and uses polymorhism to
  return the appropriate string.

Happy for any other suggestion you make and I will follow your
suggestion as it is my goal to have MySQL4 and tests included into
SqueakDBX.

Actually I don't understand (meaning I want to be educated about) your
objection. In my view it will be a simple getter and IMO it's a
natural function for DBXBackendFacility to provide different SQL
strings for different backends.

But then I'm no IT person but an electronic engineer so maybe it's
just a lack of understanding on my side.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net