[SqueakDBX] Problems at first go on SqueakDBX

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Sep 26 10:20:48 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,

I'm trying something maybe non standard.
I use Squeak 3.8.2  and MySQL 4.0.15.

After installing opendbx 1.4.3 in the Squeak folder and installing
OpenDBX-Core-Mariano.230.mcz I started with the connection example.

I verified that the following settings work with the native mySQL
driver for Squeak. So:

connectionSettings := DBXConnectionSettings
             host: 'ALDI_1'
             port: '3306'
             database: 'Pruefzeiten'
             userName: 'readonly'
             userPassword: '****'.

conn := DBXConnection platform: DBXMySQLPlatform new settings: connectionSettings.

conn connect.

Here (in connect) I first got an error indicating that
libmysqlbackend.dll could not be found. (err1.png). Trying the dlls
Mariano sent to this list on September 21st didn't change anything.

So I renamed libmysqlbackend-1.dll to libmysqlbackend.dll and retried.

This time a Squeak debugger popped up, see debug1.png and continuing
this debugger gave conn a handle which was not nil.

So I tried:

conn open

and got debug2.png

Digging in the code there should be some logging to the Transcript but
the transcript stays empty. So how to get at the log?

Another suspect might be the authentication method as I believe
authentication between mySQL 4 and 5 changed.

If it weren't for the first error with the dll's name I'd say my
Squeak and my mySQL are just too old. As they represent a big
investment chances to update any of those are very small.

So do you see a chance to get this configuration work? First thing is
to verify the proper dlls are loaded. Then I'd like to see what is
sent to the database and what mySQL returns.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Herbert                          mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net