[SqueakDBX] Problems at first go on SqueakDBX

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Sep 26 23:15:55 UTC 2009

Mariano,

MMP> uffff  I am really sorry. I read the other way. You are totally correct.

never mind. I'm older so I've made more mistakes than you :-))

MMP> Wait a moment....you are using MySQL client libraries form
MMP> 5.0 to connect to a MySQL 4 server ???
Yes. Because mysql didn't start with mysql 5. I was quite sure they
would be backwards compatible.

BTW in
http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/Comparison
under Environment we see OpenDBX also used this configuration.

MMP> is that possible ? or you also migrate your database to a 5.0 ?
No. Nobody would pay for it. And I would not guarantee that each of
the old programs would work with mysql 5.

MMP> Yeah, it would be better if you ask in OpenDBX mailing
MMP> list. But please, don't talk in German!! I won't understand a
MMP> single word ;)
I promise ;)

MMP> which DNU here ? the one of the sql_mode ?
no. In my case result is a DBXResultSet (because I sent select from)
and rowsAffected is implemented in DBXResult. In the wiki result is
returned by a delete sql statement which maybe returns a DBXResult.

All is stated correctly on the wiki but I just skimmed the text and
only read the example. My bad.

It just felt naturally to ask how big my result set would be before
DBXResultSet>>nextRow.

BTW after I first noticed few class comments I am now very pleased by
the many detailed method comments! They will help a lot.

MMP> result columnDescriptions explore gives DBXTypeNotSupported (see png)
MMP> for timestamp and text  (see mysqlcc.png).

MMP> No, sorry :(   You cannot use timestamp. You have to use DATETIME :(
MMP> I am sorry but that's OpenDBX. Read:
MMP> http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/DBMS_Datatypes#Temporal_types
MMP> I hope this not to be a big problem for you.
I think it's not a problem because the returned values are correct.
SqueakDBX lives happily in the same image as the native driver so I
can compare results from both drivers. Maybe I get problems when I
change records but as you have noticed by now the databases are kind
of holy cows and I will not touch them.

MMP> BTW there was a typo on the Wiki the last "s" in columnDescriptions
MMP> was missing.

MMP> Sorry. I couldn't find it. Where is it ?
I had already corrected it.

MMP> So basically it seems I'm fine, for the next nextRow gives a
MMP> reasonable next row.

MMP> I go through the
MMP> Wiki examples and report problems here and correct typos as I
MMP> encounter them.

MMP> That would be VERY helpful for us and we will really appreciate that.
My pleasure.

MMP> I will investigate the "unknown system variable".
Thanks.

MMP> Are you referring to " In both cases, you must have
MMP> installed your database client library first. " ??

Yes

MMP> Ok. However I already edited the wiki with your comments:

MMP> http://squeakdbx.smallworks.com.ar/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX
Hey, somehow I completely missed this because you put so much on the
Squeak swiki. I always referred to the swiki when I wrote wiki.

Ok now bedtime, 1 hour past midnight here.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net