[SqueakDBX] Character encoding and pooling in SqueakDBX and Glorp

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 09:18:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Panu Suominen <panu.j.m.suominen at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2010/8/27 Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>:
> > The only thing I would like is that with "no encoding" I do what we were
> > doing until this change.
> Ok. That will not be a problem.
>
> > but weren't we going to put it in connectionSettings?
> > Uhh sorry, you lost me in this last paragraph. Maybe if I see the code I
> > understand better
>
> Yep. My explanation was not very clear. I write the code. Then it is
> easier to comment.
>
> > BTW...just by curious. where/why are you trying to use SqueakDBX?
>
> I am working at the University of Jyväskylä (www.jyu.fi) in Finland
> and we have large legacy system that handles course registrations and
> such (korppi.jyu.fi). It is written in very rudimentary way on top of
> Tomcat, basically using plain jsp pages and servlets without any
> advanced framework. This approach makes some changes and improvements
> very hard to implement and too expensive. This problem is very big in
> the user interface level.

Ok, I understand. I hear that story several times ;)

> To improve our development speed we have investigated better
> approaches. Pharo+Seaside seems to be quite promising.

Yes!

> Unfortunately
> we have to use our legacy database in the future implementation also.
> The database is run by postgresql and thus we need libraries to
> interact with it. I have tested PostgresV3 and it worked fine. However
> we are trying to find ORM approach and currently only working thing I
> have found is Glorp and it requires SqueakDBX.

Wait....our biggest change to Glorp is that it now supports different
database drivers. Before us, it has hardcoded to PostgresV2 driver. Now, you
have an abstract class and a layer. And you are able to use the database
driver you want. For the moment, we implemented 2 glorp drivers, one for
SqueakDBX and one for PostgresV2. Thus, you can still use postgres native
(smalltalk) driver instead of squeakdbx if you want.

Of course I still recommend using dbx as it is much faster and you have the
same api for all databases. And you even did the worst part (install
opendbx).

Anyway, if you want to load GLorp + native postgresv2 driver evaluate:

(ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX project version: '1.2') load: 'All with PostgreSQL
native'