[SqueakDBX] Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakDBX installation questions (problems)?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 22:36:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM, John Chludzinski <
john.chludzinski at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, I'm on Windows XP.
>
> I went to http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakDBX. and downloaded
> OpenDBX-Core-MarianoMartinezPeck.252.mcz and loaded it.  When
> installing OpenDBX-Core-MarianoMartinezPeck.252.mcz I never saw any
> hiccups about FFI so I assumed the Croquet image has the necessary FFI
> classes.

You cannot only install that package. There are several packages to install
them.

In our website you can find almost all information:
http://www.squeakdbx.org/

In this case, you should read: http://www.squeakdbx.org/Installation

But...it is something like this:

Installer ss project: ’SqueakDBX’; install: ’SqueakDBXPharoLoader’.    (or
you can download it manually using monticello browser)

And then evaluate:

SqueakDBXPharoLoader loadSqueakDBX
Instead of using our own loaders you can also use the Metacello
configuration. You have to download the package ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX
from the repository MetacelloRepository in SqueakSource and then evaluate:

(ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX project version: '1.0') load.

> I then followed the link to
> http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/Setup/Windows and
> downloaded the opendbx-1.4.4_win32.zip binaries.  This contains 2
> dll's and a folder will more dll's.  I extracted the 2 top level dll's
> into my bin-directory containing Croquet.exe.

I suggest you to read:

- http://www.squeakdbx.org/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX
- http://www.squeakdbx.org/Compiling%20for%20different%20backends

In http://www.squeakdbx.org/documentation   you have a lot of info.

> After modifying MysqlTinyBenchmarks>>initializeConnection with the
> appropriate info (password, database, host, etc.) I tried executing:
> "MysqlTinyBenchmarks new benchmarkInsert". This died in DBXPlatform >>
> createConnection: referencing OpenDBX.  When I went back and looked at
> the Transcript window messages (about loading
> OpenDBX-Core-MarianoMartinezPeck.252.mcz) I noticed "OpenDBX is
> Undeclared" in multiple places.  I assumed this is a reference to a
> class that wasn't included in OpenDBX-Core-MarianoMartinezPeck.252.mcz
> package?

Yes, the loader should fix this.

> I wish there were a simple list of instructions to accomplish this?
> (Or, maybe I'm not seeing the obvious?)

Almost all information is in the website. Just ask if you have further
questions.
We have our own mailing list also (I have cc'ed it)

A little note: I have ever tested SqueakDBX on Croquet, so, I don't know if
it works or not. I guess...but not tested (at least for our team).

Cheers!

Mariano