[SqueakDBX] Character encoding and pooling in SqueakDBX and Glorp

Panu Suominen panu.j.m.suominen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 16:51:07 UTC 2010

2010/9/11 Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>:
> Thanks Panu. I am looking at the code right now. I will give you my
> feedback. Thanks a lot :)
>
> Two little questions...
>
> 1) If I DON'T want encoding, it says I don't need to do anything. It just
> doesn't encode because of the
>

>     ^ encoder isNil ifTrue:[aString] ifFalse:[ encoder
> convertToSystemString: aString].
>
> or the
>

>     ^ encoder isNil ifTrue:[aByteArray ] ifFalse: [encoder
> convertFromSystemString: aByteArray].
>
> I am right ?   then....if we do that check with the nil...I don't need to
> set the Null encoder, isn't it ?
That is right. At first I thought using NullEncodingStrategy to handle
that case would be wise. However
when I cleaned the packaging to two separate "patches", original
solution did not work. So, basically
NullEncodingStrategy is not needed. It can be used to emphasize fact
that system is using internal
string format.

> 2)  To set a particular encoding for SqueakDBX the way to do this is
> something like this:
> is this correct?
That is how it should work. If I did not break anything when altering
package structure..

> And for Glorp it is something like:
> is this correct ?

Yes.

> 3) How did you run both, SqueakDBX and GlorpDBX tests?
> To squeakDBX did you modify DBXPostgreFacility >> createConnection    and
> set there the encoder?
> And for Glorp you changed DBXGlorpMainBackendTestPostgresql >>
> glorpBackendFacility   ?

In my development environment I did not succeeded to run SqueakDBX
test with green bar without any modifications.
It seemed that it would have needed extra effort to first hunt down
those problems and then add test to then encoding
stuff. I haven't had that time yet. Hopefully I will have next week.

> BTW....I will be en ESUG next week....will you be there?
Unfortunately no. Maybe next year if we start using smalltalk at my work... ;)

--
Panu