[SqueakDBX] Character encoding and pooling in SqueakDBX and Glorp

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 18:37:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Panu Suominen
<panu.j.m.suominen at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/9/11 Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>:
> > Few more things:
> >
> > 1)  PSAutomaticEncoding >>  encoderFor: anObject
> > I  think it would be better to be:
> > PSAutomaticEncoding >>  encoderFor: aConnection
> > Since object DNU queryEncodying, but DBXConnection.
>
> You are right. I thought that same kind of encoding strategy scheme
> could be used to some other things as well.
> But anObject is too general name.

Yes, I imagined it was because of that....but it cannot be too general,
since it has to understand queryEncodying....

> > 2)   testUTF8IsDetected   fails because there is no implementor of
> > runScenario
> It needs mocketry to run. I though that I would add some kind of
> notice about this
> requirement when class is initialized or something, but I runned out
> of time to find
> out how to do this proprely.
>
> Other option is that I take extra effort to write the test without
> mocketry. Is that
> better option?

Yes, please. If that's the only place where it is used then yes. Because
depending on other packages is complicated. You never know if there is
someone who maintains it. And I want to to always run fine in Pharo. Pharo
changes a lot. So yes....since it seems mockery is only used there, I would
try to avoid the dependecy.

> > 3)  TO integrate it, I was thnking I can put the classes of
> > 'EncodingStrategy' into a new  'OpenDBX-Core-Encoding'
> > And the tests in  'OpenDBX-Core-Tests-Encoding'
> > In addition, I have to rename PSAclassName to DBXAclassName. Do you agree
> > with this?
>
> Sounds good. I think my changes are so small that licensing them
> sounds funny but
> because there have been some licensing issues it might be better that
> I clearly state that my changes are done under MIT license.

Excellent, because I was just going to ask you that :)
Thanks for doing it mit.

> If I remember correctly Glorp uses LGPL? If so then the change to Login
> class has to be LGPL too.

yes...I guess.

Thanks Panu.