[SqueakDBX] Installing on Windows with MSSql backend was Re: [Esug-list] [ANN] ESUG supports

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 09:40:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM, <Mikey.Sanchez at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. If my application gains traction it will need a fairly serious object
> store. It also needs to integrate with 3rd party drelational databases. I
> need to make sure that if I opt for GemStone that I can "take" my relational
> DB connectivity with me.

Something maybe stupid...Esteban or Diogenes may help you more than me.
But..
1) Be aware of the difference between Gemstone and the Pharo image that
comes with the tools to connect to Gemtsone. For example, if you want to
migrate a relational database to Gemtsone, you CAN do it with SqueakDBX,
because such work can be done by that Pharo image: it uses SqueakDBX to read
databse, and write it in Gemstone. Several people used SqueakDBX for that
purpose.

2) Ask in the Gemstone mailing list about this. I think they may have ODBC
or something like that.

3) Ask in Gemstne mailing list, how it is their FFI. Because SqueakDBX is
quite decoupled from the FFI implementation. You can just subclass OpenDBX
class and use another FFI calls. I guess the "Smalltalk" part of SqueakDBX
is quite portable.

4) What about integrating with 3rd party relational databases trought
something that not a query directly ? what about webservices or things like
that? you can have another Pharo image that uses SqueakDBX and publish
webservices (or similar) and you consume them from Gemstone

> 2. I'll check the GLORP integration docs and the new loader.

Something like this may help you to get started:

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX';
load.

ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX project lastVersion load.

Cheers

Mariano