[SqueakDBX] Re: [Pharo-users] DBXTypeNotSupoorted with Glorp

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 21:11:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Alain Rastoul <alr.dev at free.fr> wrote:

> **
> Hi,
> I finally found that when called in C with the same api calls that those
> made by opendbx, sqlite correctly returns datatype of columns when fetching
> rows, the problem is clearly that the data type is stored in SQueakDBX
> column description for the resultset  the first time it fetches the first
> row.
> For sqlite, squeakdbx should call the sqlite api to retrieve column
> datatype for each row and each colum while fetching data.

Hi Alain. I am reading this:
http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/C_API/odbx_column_type

>From SqueakDBX, we send odbx_column_type ONCE PER RESULTSET.
You can see this in #processNextResultSet:querySettings:  that for every
resultset it sends  #processResultWithRows:resultHandle:querySettings:

Now.... should we send odbx_column_type and friends ONCE PER RAW? As far as
I can see, in other databases we don't need to do that. But maybe we are
wrong and you are right.
Norbert?

Anyway, if you want to give it a try to Sqlite, what about overwrite
#moveNext:  in SqlitePlatform and do something to set the new type for every
raw.

>From what I can see, if the type depends on each raw and it should be asked
for every raw, then a design change is needed so that we can move the
description from the REsultSet to the Raw :)

But it may have implications I don't know.  Perhaps squeakDbx could get only
> true object values (are rawValues really needed) ?.

Well, it depends on the user needs. Now, a key point is what GLORP should
use.

> Or perhaps another solution would be to call the sqlite api if the stored
> datatype is UNKNOWN in column description ... (only for sqlite, but sounds
> like a bad trick)

sounds like a hask, but if it works it is at least a valid workaround.