[SqueakDBX] Re: ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX error

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 19:04:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Doug Edmunds <dougedmunds at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Mariano,
>
> I figured out what caused the confusion (to me, the newbie):
>
> 1. Go to http://www.squeakdbx.org/
> 2. Click  Documentation
> 3. Click Installation
>
> It says "Our Monticello address is: http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakDBX
> ."
>
> 4. Click that link and look for ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX
>
> 5. The most recent one in that group of files:
> ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX-MarianoMartinezPeck.8.mcz, which
> (now I know) is quite old.
>
> I used that, thinking it was the newest version, and that's where the
> problems start.
>
> Down near the bottom of the page, there's a mention of
> http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository, but
> it's not a live link.  After wading through everything
> else on that page with a lot of failed stuff like the
> Installer info, I assumed that the 'not-a-link' reference
> would just get me to the same place or to the same file
> that I just downloaded.
>
> Since then, I have been to MetacelloRepository and got the most
> recent version.
>
> Hopefully, the web page can get fixed to avoid this for the next newbie.

Thanks, I have updated the link, please check:
http://www.squeakdbx.org/Installation

> Also, Please update the package with a ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX class to
> include a new method "version14" with this update:
>  SqueakDBX-Dialect-Squeak-DougEdmunds.5.mcz.

Thanks for the commit. But the idea of Metacello is not to update a version
per version of a package, but instead creating versions and managing
projects. I cannot just create a new SqueakDBX version for every little
change in the code.  If you need the very last commits, then you use
Monticello. Or even better, you can always download all the last versions
using Metacello instead. Just load a baseline:

ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX project version: '1.2-baseline'

Now with new Metacello version, the above should be even simpler, just using
the symbolic version #bleedingEdge.

Finally, version 1.3 of SqueakDBX is with blessing #development, and the
repository is free to commit. So, feel free to commit.

anyway, I have just commited.

Cheers

mariano

> It contains a change to SqueakOpenDBX class>>ffiImplementationForOS
> in order to avoid a Warning about a deprecated method.

thanks!