[SqueakDBX] Re: [opendbx] Mssql connection failed

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu May 12 12:20:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Alain rastoul <Alr.dev at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
> I finally got openDbx working with FreeTDS and ODBC, I don't know
> what went wrong last night, I suppose my computer got tired ;)
> This is great !

Well, these are great news!!! :)
Please, if there is something we can improve in the documentation of the
website, let us know.

> However, I found
> - a much better performance with ODBC backend (DBXOdbcPlatform) in
> the test I did than with Freetds (DBXMSSQLPlatform) (run the test
> below, changing DBXOdbcPlatform to DBXMSSQLPlatform).
> With the ODBC backend the test ran about 2 times faster tha

Did you see the benchmarks we have ? Check the classes DBXBigBenchmarks,
DBXTinyBenchmarks and DBXMultipleForksBenchmarks.
And this link:
http://www.squeakdbx.org/Benchmarks

> nt
> MSSQL-freetds backend (needs explorations here)
> - perhaps a problem with TinyInt datatype ?
>  (not very important)

Probably related to:

http://www.squeakdbx.org/Mappings%20from%20String%20to%20specific%20squeak%20types%20in%20selects#Whathappenifyouareretrievingarowthathasanotsupportedfield

http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/DBMS_Datatypes

Cheers

> The test below consist read the column definitions of syscolumns and
> does not need any other database than master.
> Set myhost, myport, mydb, myuser and mypassword as appropriate.
> If you uncomment c.xprec, you will have the TinyInt error
>
> 500 timesRepeat: [
>        | conn connectionSettings result  sql |
>
>        sql := 'select c.name, c.id,  s.name , c.length --, c.xprec --,
> c.xscale,  c.xtype
>        from master..sysobjects as o
>        inner join master..syscolumns as c
>         on o.id = c.id
>        inner join master..systypes as s
>         on c.xtype = s.xtype
>        where o.name = ''syscolumns'''.
>            connectionSettings := DBXConnectionSettings
>                        host: 'myhost'
>                        port: '1884'
>                        database: 'mydb'
>                        userName: 'myuser'
>                        userPassword: 'mypassword'.
>        [       conn := DBXConnection platform: DBXOdbcPlatform new
> settings:
> connectionSettings.
>                conn connect.
>                conn open.