[SqueakDBX] Re: ideas for Smalltak GSoC 2011

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sun May 22 15:21:17 UTC 2011

Sorry....one last thought. I didn't take a look to EXDI but I think it is
more or less like OpenDBX but in Smalltalk.

I mean, with SqueakDBX we just wrap OpenDBX, which gives us a unified API.
OpenDBX then talks to each database client library. So, we need to
libraries: OpenDBX and the database client library.

EXDI is like OpenDBX but written in Smalltak. It gives you a unified API and
then it talks to the database client library. The good thing with EXDI is
that you only depends on one library: the database client library.

In SqueakDBX we directly use OpenDBX because of these reasons:

1) we don't have man power to code all that in Smalltalk for all backends
2) OpenDBX seems to be fast (although maybe we get the same speed if it were
implemented in Smalltalk)
3) Because usually, if you already depends on one library, it doesn't really
make a difference to depend on two.

Now, what would really make a difference is to have everything implemented
in Smalltalk and don't depend in any external library. But as said, we are
not mainstream, so for not open-source projects we have to deal with the
drivers they give us.

Cheers

Mariano