[Squeakfoundation]Goals

Dave squeakfoundation@lists.cdegroot.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:09:05 -0400

Disclaimer - I hate goals and mission statements since like
non-disclosure agreements the longer they are the less gets done. I
think something brief
and broad is preferable to a list of lists.

Encourage the development, support, distribution and evolution of Squeak
and Squeak based endeavors wherever it may be os use. Ensure that Squeak
is available to future generations of researchers and educators.
Encourage creativity and diversity. Try to reduce unnecessary
duplication of effort and increased reuse. [nice tension <g>]

I also think we should steal from something that works aka Apache rather
than
attempt to get caught up in meta process. It can always be changed in
release 2, but if there is no release 1 who cares about release 2. We
need to be realistic about how long it will take to achieve this and get
started sooner rather than later.

Finally we need to realize that innovation and progress will cost
something and that something means that there needs to be some
diversification such as the multiple projects forking before
consolidation/unification.

Dave