[Squeakfoundation]OK, what exactly should this SqueakFoundation thing be and do?

Doug Way squeakfoundation@lists.cdegroot.com
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:45:24 -0400

Cees de Groot wrote:

> Nice formulation, Dwight. I put it on the Swiki; I also outlined the steps of
> the "Chaordic Design Process" (Create Your Own Chaordic Organization In Six
> Hard Steps ;-)) on the Swiki's front page.

(Cees, would it be possible to add a link to the Swiki from your SqueakFoundation list info page?  I've already lost track of which Wiki it's on, and I'm too lazy to search for it at the moment. :) )

I also like Dwight's initial list of items.  One other possible function for the foundation was mentioned on the Squeak list... it could coordinate screening and testing bugfix and enhancement submissions on the Squeak list, and forward the recommended changes to Squeak Central for possible inclusion in the base image.  (And maybe do the same for Stable Squeak.  Further down the road, it could possibly try to get a more formal fix/enhancement submission process in place, too.)

This function has been performed by various volunteers (Stefan Matthias Aust and others), but it has been difficult to find someone to do it on a consistent basis, since it is a fair amount of work.  It might not be as important to implement right away as some of the other items on Dwight's list, though.

Just some extra thoughts,

- Doug Way
  dway@riskmetrics.com