[Squeakfoundation]Re: [Important Topic] Squeak Central position regarding SqueakFoundation

Doug Way squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:52:33 -0400

(I'll cc the squeakfoundation list on this reply just so folks following that list will be aware of this thread.)

"Andrew C. Greenberg" wrote:

> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> >
> > I would like to have a Squeak Foundation with clear goal, money for hire
> > some good squeakers to help the community and I have the impression that
> > everything is stuck right now. Things should move, time is passing.
>
> Is that the goal?  Even if so, is that a clear goal?
>
> Help the community how?

Some good questions.

> I thought this was an open source project.  Why does Squeak require
> money for this purpose?
>
> Further, can we realistically expect to generate revenues sufficient to
> pay salaries of even one, let alone some, good squeakers?

Maybe, maybe not, but I wouldn't want to rule out the possibility. (not implying that you were ruling it out)

On the other hand, we don't have to wait around for a revenue infrastructure to be in place before doing anything.  I think a gradual progression could be good... start out as a purely volunteer organization for awhile, and then, after demonstrating some modest accomplishments, possibly try to generate revenue for a paid developer/employee.  And then build further from there.

There is more that can be done as a volunteer organization, beyond what is currently happening, IMHO.  (Currently, Cees and a few others done a fair amount of good work with setting up and maintaining various mailing lists and Swiki pages for the community.  I've tried to pitch in with a mini-FAQ project (see the SqF swiki), although I need to do more on this. :) )

For example, one somewhat pressing need is for one or more knowledgeable squeakers to cull through the submissions to the list over the last several months and compile (and bring up to date) the ones deemed suitable for release in the base 3.1alpha image.  (This list of submissions would then be passed to SqC for a final quick review.)  This is something that could be done on a volunteer basis (as in the past), although I think at this point it may be too large a job for a single person.  In any case, the SqF could organize this, perhaps without having to wait for SqC to determine its eventual direction outside of Disney, etc.

Just some random thoughts,

- Doug Way
  dway@riskmetrics.com

(SqC = Squeak Central)