[Squeakfoundation]An architecture for sustainable Squeaking

squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:05:33 +0300

Joseph Pelrine <jpelrine@acm.org> wrote:
> You're right, modularity is not everything, but it's a big step in the
> right direction. If you want to check out some good reference sources,
> start out by reading
[snip yummy references]
> More recent work can be found in Gamma et al.'s Paper on TeamStreams,
> presented at XP 2000 (I'm not sure whether there's a web link to it),
I think this is it -
http://www.xp2001.org/papers/Chapter9-Lippert+alii.pdf

> Most of the work I'm doing for Stable Squeak is involved in implementing
> these and other ideas aimed at managing modularity in Squeak. I'm on a roll
> now, and may be able to show something next week.
Ok, fine, we're *already* salivating. Why are you wasting time answering
silly emails? go code! ;-)

> On the other hand, code quality can't be learned from a book. I benefited a
> lot from having had access to world-class Smalltalkers who would whack me
> upside the head if my code was crappy. It became a matter of pride for me
> to write clean code. If you're alone, SUnit and full-strength SmallLint
> help a lot.
I miss having the RB and friends. One thing I missed in those was
something telling me my code is too complex - enter the HintingBrowser.
Someday soon I hope to have all those together on one image with
Celeste...

> Cheers
> Joseph

Daniel