[Squeakfoundation]An architecture for sustainable Squeaking

Jesse Welton squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:44:00 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen Pair wrote:

> [...]  When a String is
> instantiated (in the case where there are two different implementations of
> #selectorDefinedTwice), the same String class is used (unless you've defined
> your own String class in your module), however the mechanism in which the
> *selector* is resolved to a method is smart enough to choose the correct
> method based on the context (module) in which the message was sent.
>
> This is why I said that this would require deep modifications to the message
> dispatch mechanism and to method dictionaries.  [...]

Stephen, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the suggestion I
just made, of using the same method dictionaries, but different symbol
tables in different namespaces.  That would require no changes to the
method dispatch mechanism or to method dictionaries.  I'm not sure
whether it would require more or less work to implement the tool
support, though.

-Jesse