[Squeakfoundation]Funding Squeak Development Through the Foundation?

Mark A. Schwenk squeakfoundation@lists.cdegroot.com
Wed, 09 May 2001 23:33:37 -0500

While the scent of money is still in the mailing list, I'd like to raise a
related issue. Some have suggested that the foundation shouldn't get too
hung up on money, but I, for one (actually WellThot Inc.), would be willing
to contribute money to fund an increased level of UNIX VM development and
support, developing J3 to its fruition across platforms (including my new
iPAQ), etc. Is an increased level of volunteer coordination sufficient to
accomplish such things or will money and dedicated people be necessary?

And if it takes money, how might we handle it? Should such transactions be
done outside the foundation, where it would probably fall to the bigwigs to
fund such development, or companies could contribute a portion of one of
their developer's time, or perhaps the foundation could serve to pool
donations from smallwigs to fund development to achieve common goals. It
would be nice to be able to earmark at least a portion of donations to
support specific activities.

I think that it might be good to collectively support a core team of
developers outside the current Squeak Central team.

But how do you handle the civil unrest between the volunteer Squeakers and
the paid Squeakers?

Although I wouldn't mind being a paid Squeaker (and I have been paid by
clients for some of my Squeak work and have paid others to assist me), I
also wouldn't mind paying others to develop and maintain some of the core
functionality that would allow me to pursue my own projects at a more rapid
pace with a more robust and higher performing system supporting me.

What do YOU think?

-Mark Schwenk
  WellThot Inc.