[Squeakfoundation]Foundation Principles

Cees de Groot squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun, 13 May 2001 21:56:03 +0200

dshafer@yahoo.com said:
>> C. Authority will be vested in, functions performed at, and resources used
by
>>    the smallest or most local part that includes all relevant and affected
>>    parties.

> I'd like better understanding of what this means in the context of the
> Squeak Foundation.

It's an important principle that makes sure that authority is distributed as
much as possible. If there's e.g. a release building group, that group has the
authority to pronounce something a release, they don't need to go to (for
example) the doundation's top level to ask for permission. And if they want to
organize themselves as a publicly held corporation, that's OK as long as they
don't conflict with the whole's Principles and Purposes.

> Consider combining F & G, which seem aimed at the same end.

They're all aimed at the same end :-). But F is about conflicts (exceptional
situations), G about the normal way of achieving results. They both have their
place.

> I think that in our context, this principle is superflouous. It
> doesn't hurt anything but I'm not sure it adds as much value here as
> it does in NAMA.

Agreed, I think we can leave that out (certainly for now - we can always put
it back in later if the actual activities seem to indicate it would be useful).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>