[Squeakfoundation]Away on a trip

Tim Rowledge squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 22 May 2001 17:01:33 -0700

I would like to suggest that anyone who subscribes to the principle and
purpose should be welcome to participate. Indeed, the principles we are
working on require that.

However, I assume we would like to be able to have some money sloshing
around (I certainly would) and that means probably having some way to
offer power in return for money. Or at least an illusion of power that
is good enough to please the payers. I see two extremes that aply here:-
a) the foundation is a charity, give it money and feel good about your
generosity. If you're lucky, it will drop around and  flatter you some
evening.
b) the foundation is a pseudo-corporation with shares paid for and
voting like any cartel.
Somewhere in the middle lies a plausible answer I think.

Individuals should be accomodated in some manner; I suspect it might be
useful to include some way to appoint certain indiviuals as executive
members to allow the running to proceed smoothly and to provide some
hope of things happening in a timely manner.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim@sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! = Don't you