[Squeakfoundation]Initial project - Squeak core

Göran Hultgren squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 28 May 2001 01:03:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Andreas and all!

--- "Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab@disney.com> wrote:
> Göran,
>
> [btw, it's a shame that I have to copy umlauts to get them right ;-]

Hehe. But I am always glad when people try to get it right! :-)

> > There is one that was setup for the VM I think. I believe
> > Stefan Rudlof did that a while ago and there was some heated
> > discussion about it involving Andreas Raab and Ian Piumarta
> > I believe - can't remember the issues though - but it sort
> > of didn't catch on since Andreas and Ian did not
> > really "support" it. (My memory may not server me right...)
>
> No, you're quite right (although one could argue that the project didn't
> catch on because the people involved didn't support it either - at least not
> in the long-term sense that is necessary). There were two issues that were
> never really solved:
>
> #1: Who has write access to what area? [Ian's main point]

So... what was the problem? I mean - couldn't that have been resolved? Most OSS projects has one
or a few with write access and everyone else just sends patches. If Ian wanted write access to
himself then I would personally gladly had given him that, but then I would of course also...
what's the word... "expected" him to tend the sources somewhat regularly. ;-) You know what I
mean.

> #2: How do non-Unix people use it? [My main point]
>
> Mind you, #2 really means how to use it daily. It's not done by saying
> "there is mumble-CVS". I know. Contrary to many other people I have tried
> ;-)

Could you do a short recap on what the problem was? I mean, we are talking about the C-source
right? Or are we talking about the rest of the VM? Is it a problem with CVS-clients?

regards, Göran

PS. BTW - The new 3D stuff is very intriguing... DS

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren@bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek