[Squeakfoundation]New list and Swiki from SqF, guys?

Göran Hultgren squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 29 May 2001 01:50:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Andreas!

--- Andreas Kuckartz <a.kuckartz@dokom.net> wrote:
> > But there has also been... well, IMVHO a lot of fruitless discussion in
> SqF. In the OpenSource
> > world action and source talks.
>
> Agreed.
>
> For that reason I think that the debate about unreleased code is "fruitless
> discussion" (as long as it is not released). To adopt an almost secret
> forking project would neither help SqF nor Squeak.

I agree fully Andreas - but I think that problem is being solved as we speak - there is no real
"secrecy" here - just a couple of guys that want something to work before they release it to too
many people. And do note that there has been voices being raised even from SqC that a release may
be unfortunate as it would be thought of as a fork - see below.

As things stand today there will be no forking - the current scenario is that the StSq release
coming very shortly (a matter of days) will be labeled in such a way that people understand that
it is a testbed for stuff going into Squeak 3.2 and NOT a fork.

And BTW - I have had no problem getting my hands on the prerelease as I got involved in the
project. Would you like to help? I can send you the url for the prerelease if you like. Do you
want to join the project? I can add you to the current email alias too (though we might be moving
to a list hosted at SqF shortly).

My summary of it all is that I personally think a release should have been made earlier - but I
respect the fact that there has been reasons for not releasing yet.

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren@bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek