[Squeakfoundation]WeakMessageSends/Events for 3.4

Stephen Pair squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:04:32 -0500

I agree with G=F6ran on this issue.

Indeed, I'd take it a step further and say no new features period...ever
(for the base Squeak that is).  Stuff like a new events mechanism,
networking frameworks, etc...should all remain as external packages.  We
need to be working in that opposite direction and start having change
sets in the update stream jettison code, not add.

Now, what would be great is to have a base Squeak realease, plus a
number of "distributions" that contain a variety of packages that are
pre-loaded.  One of these could be the SqC distribution that is
downloadable from the squeak.org site (this would be the distro that
most people download first).

One of the things that could be done to help encourage progress in that
direction is to start thinking about automating image construction
(i.e., take the base image, add packages X, Y, and Z, then publish
somewhere).  Some tools to help with that would be nice.

- Stephen