[Squeakfoundation]base image distribution

Rob Withers squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:35:46 -0500

I completely agree, almost.  :)   What is the smallest feature set for the
base stripped image?  Is there a swiki page on this?

The multicast events are not a new feature but a refinement of an existing
feature that compliments the #update:/#changed: mechanism.   I can imagine
that we may want to include this in the base raw image along with
exceptions, #perform:, a file system, and the compiler.

SqueakMap won't work without networking, so this base image wont be
bootstrapable from the net.  I also start thinking about the MobVM when we
look at the smallest bootstrapable unit.

Here is what I see as the base image distro.
    - basic vm with file system support, perhaps MobVM enabled - deal with
dll locations, blah
    - basic image with enough juice to read a startup script
        - no gui, no network,
        - incl compiler, fs, evaluation, collections, metamodel, magnatude
    - base changesets and plugins to add the bare minimum for gui (MVC or
Morphic?), network, SqueakMap
    - optional local SqueakMap repository with a snapshot of base extension
packages (as differentiated from application packages)
    - optional local SqueakMap repository with the entire universe (and then
some) in it.  (for those of us without even a 1 Baud connection to the net

So I don't know the exact details of where we see this going, but its going
and that's what counts!  :)

cheers,
rob